With special guest speaker Frank Cottrell Boyce
‘I’d do this every hour and every day if I could!’ – young person reading with The Reader Organisation
Following a successful conference about reading for pleasure in primary and infant schools last year, The Reader Organisation is inviting secondary school teachers and staff to spend a day exploring reading for pleasure in secondary schools at our Day Conference 2013 at Liverpool Hope University.
The Reader Organisation has extensive experience of reading for pleasure with children and young people both in groups and one-to-one, in schools and other settings. The focus of our weekly read aloud sessions is entirely on enjoyment, taking the pressure off the child, so that even the most reluctant of readers get involved.
OFSTED’s 2012 report, Moving English forward, expressed concern over ‘an apparent decline in reading for pleasure’ among children and young people. New ways forward are needed. This conference has been designed by The Reader Organisation to support the provision of reading for pleasure with pupils in secondary schools.
We are very pleased to announce that our guest speaker for the day is award-winning novelist and screenwriter Frank Cottrell Boyce, best known for his children’s fiction including Millions (winner of the Carnegie Medal 2004), Cosmic and The Unforgotten Coat, written for The Reader Organisation and winner of the 2012 Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize.
On the day, you will:
- Find out about The Reader Organisation’s work with children and young people, including evaluations and reports from our Reader-in-Residence school projects
- Learn more about how to encourage children to read for pleasure within and beyond the classroom
- Engage in a range of interactive and focused sessions, including participating in shared reading sessions based upon TRO’s award-winning Get Into Reading programme
- Enjoy a thoroughly engaging and enlightening session with Frank Cottrell Boyce – and take the opportunity to ask him your questions.
- Get the chance to tell us the ways in which The Reader Organisation and Liverpool Hope can help you
This event is FREE of charge, and refreshments and lunch will be provided on the day.
To book your place, please contact the Liverpool Hope Partnership Team on email@example.com or call 0151 291 3062